Janice Murray likes to say she has the “best job in town.” Once a week, Janice volunteers her time to present local charity news on KHTS’s NonProfit Spotlight hour, where she interviews board members, executive directors, volunteers and participants from all over the Santa Clarita Valley. She’s good at it, too, because Janice has been an integral part of SCV’s volunteer core for many years. Her “resume” of philanthropic work spills over onto many pages.
Like many, Janice’s family has been personally touched by cancer, prompting her joined the Circle of Hope in July 2011. Within less than two years, she was serving on the executive board as secretary and remains a part of the governing body today. Janice has served as a public relations officer and chairs the silent auction and raffle for our annual Afternoon Tea, efforts which have brought in funds enough to support four new cancer patient clients. She takes her role at COH very seriously and consistently weighs in on matters of importance to our mission and our clientele. Janice readily volunteers at every COH event, doing whatever is necessary to make our efforts a success. She is compassionate, generous, and loyal to the cause of helping those in the Santa Clarita Valley through whatever means she can.
Janice Murray’s accomplishments are many. Prior to joining our organization, Janice has played a volunteer role at these and other organizations:
- American Heart Association – Jump for Heart, Hoops for Heart Campaign
- Sulphur Springs Elementary School – Read Across America
- Samuel Dixon Family Health Center – Rubber Ducky Regatta
- Assistance League Santa Clarita – 5K Footsteps Walk
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society – Light the Night Walk
- Single Mothers’ Outreach – Empowering Hearts
- COC Canyon Country Campus Community Advisory Committee – Founding member
- SCV Disaster Preparedness Coalition – Founding member
- Boys & Girls Club of SCV – Festival of Trees
- SCV Optimist Club – Judge, Oratory contest (Middle School)
To say that Janice is ingrained in the Santa Clarita nonprofit community would be a gross understatement. She embodies the image of a caring, devoted, conscientious volunteer who is deeply committed to her causes and her community. Please congratulate our nominee for 2017 Woman of the Year, Janice Murray!